Book review: Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters.
What can I say about Sarah Waters' debut novel? Lust, desire and deceit... These are three words that conjure up in my mind when I think of Tipping the Velvet. From 1998, Tipping the Velvet follows the many lives of Nancy Astley. She goes through a variety of different personas and jobs, suffering heartache along the way. When she suffers heartache, it seems to truly damage her. However, she then seems to find something else, even if it is not as good as her previous way of life. What I loved especially about this novel is the ending. Everyone and everything seems to culminate together at the event that happens.
Another moment I loved was when Nancy and Florence are in the pub and people recognise her. This was a lovely reminder that of her time in the theatres and highlighted that people thought she was good in the theatres, not just Kitty. This is also where the meaning of 'Tipping the Velvet' is explained. I for one thing had no idea what it meant. Once I reached that moment in the novel, the novel became a lot clearer to me. Even if it is not the most important thing to know, learning something new is one reason I love reading.
The other thing with this novel is I loved getting to understand Victorian society more. I did originally think the novel would have been about how a woman struggles in Victorian society. Now Nancy does struggle throughout the novel, but that of course was not the only focus. Her many lovers provided us with a range of women loving women (WLW). Because of all of this, the novel has made me question how people people there were in the Victorian era with secrets like this. I am intrigued as I continually was throughout the novel. With the way Nancy's life was going, I kept wanting to know what would happen next. It was a good novel indeed! I am going to give Tipping the Velvet an 8/10.
Until next time,
Thomas (they/them).
Comments
Post a Comment