TV series review: Tipping the Velvet (2002) directed by Geoffrey Sax.
Today I am reviewing the three-part series of Tipping the Velvet from 2002, directed by Geoffrey sax. Considering this was on the BBC, I was surprised by some of the scenes. One good example is the some of those scenes between Rachael Stirling's Nancy and Anna Chancellor's Diana. The use of such props that were used really shocked me. The props in general were used well such as the rose in episode 1. I did not expect the BBC to allow the series to bare such a likeness to the novel. This is one thing I liked about the series - how most things seemed strikingly similar to the novel. One notable difference was the ending...
Unlike the ending in the book where Nan's previous lives come together and everything culminates, the TV series shows a different ending. Now I love the ending of the novel and kind of wished this ending would be the same for the TV series. However, I loved seeing Nan's ending in the TV series because it was happy and deserved to me. After having gone through a whole load of emotions throughout the TV series, being presented to the viewer with shock, sadness, bitterness, anger and loneliness, it was nice to see something good for her. Rachael Stirling played her well, with her features reminding me of Nan's character. Here I am thinking mainly of her hair and she matched Nan's hairstyles/lengths from the novel. I could see similarities between her and her sister. I must admit, speaking of the sister, that I was gutted the scene where she tells her sister about Kitty was missed.
Thinking of some of the other characters, their personalities shine through in the series. Anna Chancellor for example plays Diana Lethaby well, coming across as very bossy, insistent and manipulative. The scenes in episode 2 at her 40th birthday party seemed dramatic indeed! Then there was John Bowe's sneaky Walter who I quickly came to loathe. We have Zena who Sally Hawkins portrayed as innocent, which was good too.
All in all, this TV series was a very good series and I loved it! I am giving this an 8/10.
Until next time,
Thomas (they/them).
Comments
Post a Comment