What I have read this month...

The end of the month approaches and I am gutted that we are finishing pride month. It seems the month has raced past in a flash. Still, I have read some good stuff this month. Here are some of those things...


1: My chess...

The chess learning is still going. Some of the terminology I have been getting to grips with lately is actually quite cool. Before I started practising chess on my phone, I had never heard of forks or pins for example, even if I might have used them before.



2: ‘'A Girton Girl on a Throne': Queen Christina and Versions of Lesbianism, 1906-1933’ by Sarah Waters.

With Sarah Waters being author of the month, this journal was what I decided to read and review first. You can check out my review on the blog here to see what I truly thought of it.


3: Social media.

Even social media is owned by rich, selfish and horrible men (in my opinion) it has its uses and helps to keep me updated on important stuff. There is a lot of hope that I get from using social media when I see good things happening in the world. However, I am not the sort of person who spends too much on social media. Too much of one thing can be bad for you!


4: My French...

Yes I have not stopped learning French and do not plan to stop. Currently I am well into the 800s for the number of days I have been continuously going alongside the chess learning too. The new words I am getting all the time are great too! What I also love is that they never forget the previous words and stuff you have learned. I will taken back to some verbs and their endings or looking back at some animals I first learnt towards the start of my French learning.


5: CD tracklists.

CDs, CDs and more CDs. I love CDs! So when I am out and I see a CD I want but yet do not possess, I shall be going through its track list. I recently looked at all the track listing for a bunch of albums I own by a singer I like. I had two different greatest hits albums along with several of his studio albums. I wanted to see which tracks repeated and where.


6: Diving into the Wreck (1973) by Adrienne Rich.

For this month I decided to read and review the poetry collection Diving into the Wreck by lesbian American poet, essayist and feminist Adrienne Rich. I consider her to be a prominent literary figure for women and the LGBTQIA+ community and with it being pride month, wanted to read this when I came across it. There is a review on my blog that you can have a look at if you want to know what my opinions on the collection are.


7: My brain training.

The brain training still continues and I keep trying to improve each time I go back to a game. I love the a lot of the language games and the problem solving games best. One game gets me reading about famous things, events of people and fixing errors throughout the passage. That's a good one because I learn about new things all the time.


8: Bus timetables.

Buses are often changing and when they are, I like to be on top of them. That is why I read through changes mentioned on websites and check out the relevant timetables. I mean it does make sense.


9: Tipping the Velvet (1998) by Sarah Waters.

Continuing with Sarah Waters as author of the month, I decided to read and review her debut novel Tipping the Velvet (1998) as it has been on my wish list for books I want to read, for quite some time now. There is a review of her debut novel followed by a review of the TV series, which I chose to watch after I finished off her novel so feel free to have a look at both of those.

There is this month's list of some things that I have read this month. Come back next month to see what stuff I have been reading throughout August.



Until next time,



Thomas (they/them).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bookshop visit 11: Lions Charity Bookshop, Hailsham, East Sussex.

Bookshop visit 3: Oxfam Bookshop, Coventry, West Midlands.

Fictional book review: Trumpet (1998) by Jackie Kay.