My thoughts on D. I. Charlie Hulme...

Welcome back to my blog people. I decided I wanted to do a post dedicated to Detective Inspector Charlie Hulme who we said goodbye to in the first episode of Robert Thorogood's Death in Paradise (2011-) television series.

D. I. Charlie Hulme was a likeable character who you never would think could have any enemies. I certainly liked him for the short and brief moments we did see him for. One thing that stood out to me was his choice of clothing. Imagine working on a Caribbean island as the most senior police officer of the police team and wearing a Hawaiian shirt in bright red. That there is a man who knows how to have fun and be a party animal when he wants to be. Look at his successor Richard Poole. For me the stark comparison of this bright, colourful and charismatic personality of Charlie's, with the moody, at times arrogant and somewhat dull personality of Richard was a clincher. Seeing the difference made me appreciate D. I. Hulme a lot more. Therefore, despite not disliking or even loathing D. I. Poole, I was gutted when we had no more D. I. Hulme.

D. I. Hulme seemed casual and carefree but someone who was willing to get the job done and do his best to do it. I think it would have been nice to see him have an episode where he leads the Saint Marie police force so that then we can illustrated with a greater comparison between him and D. I. Poole. Nevertheless, Charlie's storyline made sense and kicked off a chain of events, namely concerning Richard and Camille's relationship. With that noted, here is to Detective Inspector Charlie Hulme.


Until next time,


Thomas (they/them).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bookshop visit 11: Lions Charity Bookshop, Hailsham, East Sussex.

Bookshop visit 3: Oxfam Bookshop, Coventry, West Midlands.

Fictional book review: Trumpet (1998) by Jackie Kay.